The philosophy and training that I had at the Institute of Functional Medicine taught me to find and fix the cause, not just to treat the symptoms of the patient.
Many patients have these common symptoms and are surprised when they learn the cause:
- Chronic sinus congestion/infections
- Craving for sweets
- Poor digestion, constipation, diarrhea, bloating
- Hormone imbalance
- Weakened immune resistance
- Brain fog
- Loss of sex drive
- Bad breath
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Frequent UTI’s
- Chronic toenail fungal infection
- White coating on tongue
- Anxiety, panic attacks, depression
Although there are many causes for each of the symptoms mentioned, if you checked off the majority of these, there is a strong possibility that the cause of your complaints is a Candida Infection in your Gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
A normal healthy GI tract will support and grow a tremendous amount of bacteria and some yeasts. You should have about 3 pounds of bacteria in your lower intestines! The vast majority should be a mixture of good bacteria and there will be small amounts of bad guys, the following are: strep, staph, c. difficile, etc. and small amounts of yeast, including candida. As long as the good guys dominate in numbers, you won’t know the bad guys are there. BUT, if you upset that ratio (which is called dysbiosis), the bad bacteria and/or the bad yeast can proliferate and cause an infection.
The most common causes of this are:
• A course of antibiotics
• Birth control pills
• High sugar diet
• Chronic stress
• Excessive alcohol consumption
Confirmation of this diagnosis can be done with a specific blood or stool test, but the treatment is less expensive than the test, so we usually start the treatment and watch for the symptoms to resolve.
Treating the CAUSE of this infection requires a multipronged approach:
1. Stop feeding the yeast
2. Start killing the yeast
3. Re-establish the normal balance of good/bad bacteria/
yeast in the GI tract
This can take 2 weeks to several months of treatment, but….
IT CAN GIVE YOU BACK YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE!
“What a change you have made in my life! I was feeling so bad and so fatigued that I could hardly get through my workday, much less give my family the attention they deserved. Conventional medicine was failing me. After working with you, I have my health, my energy and my life back! I am forever grateful to you for helping me get my quality of life back. ~ RR/Kingwood, Texas
Other conditions that Functional Medicine can help address are:
- Chronic fatigue Anxiety/panic attacks
- Indigestion, GERD, reflux PMS
- Food intolerance/allergies Perimenopausal symptoms
- Irritable bowel syndrome Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Fibromyalgia Autoimmune diseases
- Gluten/lactose intolerance Heavy metal toxicity
- Chronic constipation/diarrhea Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Depression Hypothyroidism
- Insomnia Osteoporosis
- Chronic sinusitis Weight gain
- Systemic yeast infection
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
Dr. Campbell is available for Public Speaking Engagements on Functional Nutritional Topics.
Get 10% OFF!
After 25 years of searching, this is the best probiotic I have found:
Ther-Biotic Complete is a robust, broad-spectrum, hypoallergenic blend of 12 probiotic bacteria in a very potent dose.
Each capsule contains 25 billion organisms.
*** Mention this article to get 10% OFF
Dr. Charles Campbell